Tuesday, April 29, 2014

British Invasion Redux - Records!!!!





...One thing I was really looking forward to on my trip to the UK was....RECORDS!!!....The last time I was in the UK (2007),It was for such a short visit I only had time to hit one place in Birmingham,just for a bit before we met the 15+ Mojo-ites at our epic Mojo-Jolly!....

...This time,however,plenty of time to hit the shops.....and I didnt have a ton of money to set aside for high-end purchases,I dont mess much with that kinda stuff anyway,so I was pretty confident I could fill a bag or two!....as luck would have it,on the weekend I was in Brum...a record show!....right in Ade's general vicinity!....

All these were 1-2 pounds.....except The Clash Cost Of Living EP,which was one of the things I really wanted to pick up while I was here...in the USA it generally goes for 20-30 bucks.....at this show? 4 pounds!!....AND the guy threw in that Sid/Sex Pistols single free!



Didnt get to shop in Scotland....only in Glasgow for a few hours and then off to the countryside....

But,as I mentioned,I wasnt off the bus to Manchester for 2 minutes before Spenny presented me with a copy of The Buzzcocks' Spiral Scratch EP as a gift!....and to he record shops!.....another band I was specifically looking for was Dr. Feelgood....you just dont see their records in America....so,score on the 33 1/3 AND 45 fronts!!...plus,though it's far from their best work...cool to find a Can single,I dont have any!....and no,that Ambrose Slade album is not the original that goes for upwards of 600 bucks,but a well made bootleg which I was thrilled to get for 12 pounds!.....






Next up.....spoils from London!

These were purchased during the Berwick Fest in Soho....Ive already went on about the fantastic Soho Hobo single....the only other RSD exclusives I bought were the Sonic Rendevous Band (which I didnt even ask for....I asked for THE SONICS single...but what the hell,its a great record and I only have the songs on bootlegs..) and Wesley Stace,aka John Wesley Harding's new album...also cool to find the new Baseball Project album while I was thousands of miles away from baseball!.....





....and this is my haul from Camden Market!.....I couldve spent a few hundred dollars at least in these stalls!....so much great stuff.....but after 11 days on vacation at this point,the funds had to be rationed....but I still got some cool albums cheap (and ever since Brum,where Ade and I saw The Move,I had "Hello Susie" stuck in my head so HAD to come home with a record of it!) and the biggest record-shopping fun of the whole trip....one stall had two huge boxes of singles....at 50p each!!...all UK issues,many I'd NEVER see in America....T.Rex,Slade,Nick Lowe,Ian Drury,Mick Ronson,Bowie,Fats Waller,UFO....the list goes on and on!...I even found a Rush single to give to my brother!....


Fantastic finds and SO much fun....and except for the couple of RSD purchases (which are always over-priced) the total I spent (yes,I keep track!) was a little less than 90 pounds.....not bad at all!!

Thanks for re-living the whole British Invasion with me!....Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment